Withrow Avenue Junior Public School is located in the heart of Riverdale, and is celebrating its 118th anniversary in 2021. The current building was constructed in 1972, and was designed to be an open-concept, dual-track school, offering both English and Early French Immersion programs to all students. The building also houses the Withrow Childcare Centre and Quest Alternative Senior School.
What is the Parent Council?
The Withrow Junior Public School Parent Council is an advisory group of parents, guardians, and community members who work with the school’s principal, vice-principal, and teachers to enrich the daily experiences available to Withrow’s children; we work hard to build an inclusive school community.
When do we meet?
We meet once a month for 1.5 hours, from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. All parents and guardians are welcome to attend!
What does the Parent Council do?
We work with the staff members of Withrow as well as the TDSB on a wide range of issues (for example, the Safe and Caring School initiative) and organize fundraising events that enrich the learning opportunities for students. In the past, we have helped purchase classroom technology, books for the library; our goal for 2021 is to rebuild Withrow’s playground.
Roles & Current Executive Council Members
There are a number of roles on the Executive of the Parent Council. The 2021-2022 elected Council members are:
Co-Chairs: Kim Munro Roberts & Lisa Cohen (Outgoing 2020-2021 Co-Chair): Chantal Chiarelli
- Organize and run Parent Council meetings and oversee all facets of the Parent Council. They also liaise with the principal on ad-hoc issues throughout the year.
Treasurer: Megan Burns
- Oversees all finances, budgets, bank accounts, etc. Prepares annual budget and statements for distribution at meetings and addresses any financial questions that come up.
Secretary: Ashley Gilman (Digital) + Jenny Carson (Meeting Recording)
- Takes minutes of each home and school meeting for publication.
Communications: Sarah Kelsey
- Oversees website and social media updates (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). Supports all committees with communication campaigns as required.
Events: Maya Barrera Matthews
- Oversees yearly events, including those focused on fundraising.
School Council Liaison: Jeannette Rees
- Attends meetings to inform the Parent Council on what is going on with the School Council, and takes Parent Council information back to the school as needed.
We acknowledge the land we live and meet on is the traditional territory of many nations including the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Anishnabeg, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee and the Wendat peoples and is now home to many diverse First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples. We also acknowledge that Toronto is covered by Treaty 13 with the Mississaugas of the Credit.